Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Working 9 to 5...


Well, I've decided to get back into the workforce. A couple of weeks ago I started thinking about going back to work. Coop's 2 1/2 now...would probably enjoy the other kids at daycare. I'd like to get out and be around other adults, maybe make a friend or two. Plus, the extra $$$ couldn't hurt right? Last Thursday I picked up a newspaper for Tulsa (about 25 mins away). That night I highlighted the jobs I was interested in. Friday morning I went through the listings and sent my resume to the ones that had email addresses. Altogehter I sent out 13 emails. At the end of that, I went on-line to register with a couple of employment agencies. That's when I got my first call. An agency I had just emailed earlier wanted to see me Monday morning at 9:30. I was so surprised to hear from someone already. I called Sean and told him about it. About 30 mins later, the phone rang again. It was another agency that wanted to go over my resume with me on the phone before they went any further. While talking with her, another call was coming in. I ignored it until I could finish my current call. When we finished up, she said she'd pass my resume along to her boss and go from there. Afterwards I listened to my voicemail...another agency wanting to set up an interview for Monday. So, I called and set up the interview for Monday afternoon. Amazingly enough, while on that call, another call came in, yep....again. They left a message saying they wanted me to come into one of their branches ASAP to fill out an app and talk with someone. I was floored...my head was spinning. I was really only sending out apps to see what was out there. So, to have 4 calls immediately really took me by surprise.


So, Monday I left a little earlier than necessary to make sure I was on time, since I had never been there before...armed only with a YahooMap. Found it right away, no problem. Interview was for an HR Assistant job. I talked to a really nice lady (hmm..maybe lady isn't the right word, I'm pretty sure she was in her 20's). She was very positive and upbeat, made me feel really good about my chances. She talked to me about the job, plus a couple more they had in-house that she'd pass my resume along to. After that interview, I went ahead and drove to the next office, just to make sure I would be on time. Found it, then decided to kill time with lunch/shopping. Found a Target and hit the $1 spot there...love me some Target Cheapies:) Grabbed a quick bite to eat, then headed back for the interview. Before I got there, I got a call from the 1st agency I interviewed with. Another staffer was calling to say she was submitting my resume to an HR Clerk position she had, but also to tell me the HR Assitant position I originally applied for was now requiring a degree, so out of the running for that one (for right now).The office of the 2nd agency was on the 5th floor of an office building. I figured I'd get there early so I could get any paperwork, etc out of the way before my 1pm interview, so I got there around 12:40. When I turned the handle, nothing...locked. Ugh...no lobby, no waiting room, so instead of going back down stairs to my van, I just went into the ladies room and "sat" and waited. I went back a little later and the door magically opened this time...Thank God. When I got there I did some testing (paper and computer). All went well. The lady I'd originally talked to was tied up in a meeting and wasn't available, so I spoke with someone else. She went over my resume with me, told me about a couple of office jobs she was working on personally, but said she couldn't speak for the other staffers. She said she'd submit my resume for the jobs she had and pass it along to the others.


Keep your fingers crossed for me:)

3 comments:

Jules said...

Oh wow, good for you - I hope you get a job that you will love going too!

shalay said...

That's so awesome! I hope you find the perfect job soon. I know I get totally stressed when it comes to interviewing for jobs, but you sound like you've got it down!

Deanna G. said...

good luck t!!!!!!!!