Sunday, November 2, 2008

Trick or Treat


Our town moved Halloween to Saturday night, probably due to the high school football games on Friday or something. It's always annoyed me how different towns just change a holiday date...when I was a kid you trick 0r treated on Halloween night, no matter what night it fell on, well, maybe they didn't on Sundays, don't remember. So, our plan was to go to a neighboring town on Halloween. They were closing the main street, setting up games, etc. for the kids. When I got home from work Friday night, I found out they had done this the night before, on Thursday. Ugh. So, Friday night we rented some movies and hung out at the house. Saturday night, we got Coop dressed up and headed out. We live in the country pretty much, so no trick or treating out there...houses too far apart, hidden, not really a "neighborhood". We drove around and found a few streets with packs of little goblins going from house to house. Cooper was so excited, squealing with delight when I asked if he was ready to trick or treat.

This was his first real outing. His first Halloween he was only 2 months old, so while I'm sure he would have enjoyed a sucker, he didn't.

Halloween #2, he was one. He made up some snacks and had a few friends over and passed out candy.

Halloween #3, we took him to a church Fall Carnival. They had games, gave out pieces of candy, bouncy castle. So, this year was his first time actually getting to trick or treat.


We got out of the car, put his "accessories" on and went to our first house, while drove along beside us. He did so good, "Trick or Treat" and "Thank you". He did me proud. Everyone was going on and on about his costume and I didn't see anyone else dressed like him despite the fact that I got it at KMart. We hit about 10 houses and then went to dinner. We ate at one of our favorite Mexican restaurants, El Maguey. Cooper could hardly concentrate on his meal for talking about his candy that awaited him. A few of the other people in the restaurant were talking to him about his costume and our waiter asked if he got a lot candy. Cooper reached into his basket and pulled out a box of candy and gave it to the guy. He asked Cooper, "Is this for me?". Cooper said "Sure". So sweet.

We went home, watched the Hulk and had some candy.

I loved our November 1st Halloween.

No comments: